Although the states are moving slowly back to approaching normality, some of the remaining restrictions will have an impact on the operations of the Foundation.

The two major hurdles which must be removed before treks can be conducted are border closure and social distancing. If these remain in place it will prohibit interstate travel for staff and participants and the distancing restrictions will make compliance during bus and 4WD travel impossible.

In addition, isolation periods required for inter-state travel create another hurdle.

To gain information that provides a guestimate of when these limitations may be lifted is extremely difficult as the situation may change rapidly with a spike in numbers which could affect other states and locations.

As a rough guide to current predictions note the following announcements;

  • The Brisbane Ecca planned for August has been cancelled.
  • The Royal Adelaide Show, which was scheduled for early September, has been cancelled.

So, I am not hopeful that it will be permissible to conduct treks in 2020 in QLD or SA.

Whether or not it is worth considering running extra treks is yet to be discussed. It will force an examination of subsequent times when conditions, both COVID and weather-related, are respectively diminishing and suitable.  These aspects will be monitored continuously. The Townsville trek is on hold until further notice.

At least five weeks’ notice will be given for each decision.



Moose Dunlop  OAM
Operations Director
29 May 2020

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *